Monday, February 9, 2009

Candy Hearts

When I see candy hearts around Valentine's Day I think of Raggedy Ann! I enjoy collecting and ready children's books. I love all the Raggedy Ann and Andy stories and I especially enjoyed reading the stories to my granddaughter and my grandsons when they came to visit.

What I enjoy about the Raggedy Ann and Andy stories is there is a lesson to be learned and the little rag dolls always show love and kindness. I guess this is why the stories written and illustrated by Johnny Gruelle are still around today, they are a wonderful children's classic.
This is a Raggedy Ann doll I made five years ago, she has a little wooden heart in her chest and then I sew a little red felt heart on top. She won a blue ribbon in a doll show last year.

I collect the old home made Raggedy Ann dolls from a pattern that was available in 1940, the Raggedy Ann with a cape. My collection is not that large, I limit buying to only the ones who seem to be stuffed with loads of personality. I do not collect the newer Raggedy Ann dolls because to me they look nothing like Raggedy Ann in the illustrations.

May you all be blessed with a forever smile and candy hearts!






3 comments:

ctlogcabin said...

Hi Martha ~~ Love your Raggedy Ann dolls...I have lots of nieces and they have all at some point fallin in love with Ann.
Thanks for sharing ~~ Hugs ~ Connie xox

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Martha,thanks so much for sharing this post about dear Raggedy Ann. Your dolls are some of the best I have seen
and this sweety certainly deserved the blue ribbon she won! I love all the stories and read them to my grandchildren too.......hope you will be sharing your collection with us. I would love to see them.....

Blessings,Shelley

Ruth said...

I love your Raggedy Ann doll. I just bought the pattern to make them for my new grandchildren - Raggedy Andy for Jonah and Raggedy Ann for Abigail. I won't be making them right away, but will start collecting the fabrics for them. Did you use paint for the face? What kind of yarn did you use for the hair? It looks thicker than regular yarn. Soo Cute!!!