Sunday, January 25, 2009

Part Two of Shopping and History

This is the plaque on the outside of the gate before you enter the Cemetery. The gate and a simple grape ivy wreath with a black bow, you can see a part of a tradition Christmas wreath as well.

The white crosses are markers for the graves of the slaves who are buried there.


Scattered white cross grave markers.

This little white cross was alone and almost lost in the snow.


The photo below is the grave site of a mother and her seven children, this was the headstone that the lady at the antique shop said we should look for.

I want to try and learn more about this cemetery and something about the people who have been laid to rest here.
I hope everyone has had a nice weekend, I know that we did, it is always nice to learn a bit about the area in which you live. Sometimes I think that I have to go to far off places to feel a sense of history, but we all have history in our own back yard and I think I will be exploring more
in my "back-yard".
This is the bread thing, and for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called, anyway, for now it is on the kitchen table. Below that is my carved wooden crow, "hitched" to the toy red farm wagon which I filled with rusty snow flakes, I love those things! And the last photo is of the little wooden carrier I bought last week at the other antique shop, it appears bright red in the picture, but it is not, for now it is waiting on my mother's hutch to find its proper "home"! I love to find little bargains and when I can, purchase them and bring them home, when I look at them my mind wanders back to the day I bought them. Simple little treasures that I enjoy!




4 comments:

Carla said...

One of my favorite things to do is visit old cemeteries. I have so many photos of unique headstones! I love yours. It looks fascinating.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

My town is an old colonial town and the cemetery has old headstones from centuries ago. It is indeed fascinating!

ctlogcabin said...

Hi Martha ~~ Thank you for taking us along on another great shopping trip, love the quilt photos, just beautiful. And love the trip through the cemetery....how wonderful the markers and crosses are. Your so right there is history right around every one of us. I think doing the day trip with hubby is very special indeed.
Hugs ~ Connie xox

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Hi Martha - thanks so much for stopping by to visit - I enjoyed reading your post so much. I love all your photographs. I especially love your pretty dishes in your hutch. And I love the red tray - I actually jus' bought an old bright red tool box at our local antique mall. Guess we gravitate to the same things. Many blessings to you. Cathy